Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Was Gone For A Minute, Now I'm Back

So yes - it has been a while since I've posted anything. This summer, I got an amazing opportunity to return to a Director position at a summer camp I've worked at since I was in high school. It is the single best working experience of my life and I'm so glad to have had the chance to go back and do it once again. It does tend to be an all-encompassing type of deal, which is why I've been M.I.A. for a while. It was absolutely my choice to give 200% of myself to my job and not the fault of the job itself, but it's so worth it to me.

That being said - summer camp is over! Now it's time to play catch-up with my actual life which was put on hold for a month and a half. I will admit, that I did not get in regular workouts daily. I did a few here and there and I even brought some to camp and did them on my off periods while my co-workers looked on, not surprised in the slightest. My job included a lot of walking around as well as a lot of dancing, so I did still get some daily cardio in. I will also confess that my diet left much to be desired. I started off well enough, but once the groceries ran out and the time to shop did as well, my diet did suffer a little. The only reason I didn't stress about it was that I was still coming out of starvation mode, so I figured just confusing the heck out of my body with calories wasn't gonna hurt me too much. I'd rather be eating too many calories than not enough when trying to break starvation mode. All in all, I ended camp 1 pound down from where I started - which I don't consider a real loss, but exactly the same as where I started.

The funniest thing I found was this: for most of the summer, I felt better about my body than I did before camp. I was surrounded by people who have known me much heavier and who can recognize my progress. I was also surrounded by teenagers who I once wished I could be as small as, and I realized that I actually am pretty close in size to a lot of them. Even though I didn't actually lose any weight, I FELT skinnier. It goes to show how much your self esteem plays a role in how you appear to yourself.

So now, I need to get back on the horse. I'm working on a grocery list and setting up a new workout schedule. I'm planning on combining the intense cardio of Insanity with the weight training of P90X and mixing in some Turbo Fire and PiYo for stretching days. I'm excited to get back to a regimen and hopeful that the few weeks off will help re-start my body and get these last few very stubborn pounds off!

How did all of you do this summer with your fitness?

No comments:

Post a Comment